Monday, March 16, 2015

Do You Know Your Family Health History?



Valid question... right? I mean I think I do. But do I really?
At least once a year at my physical, my doctors office asks for update paperwork. While I am filling it out I always think, "I should call my mom and ask her these questions".

For a lot of us, while growing up, health concerns were kept private or quiet. Every family has their own way of dealing with issues like these. The older I get, the more I wish I knew about my family's health history.  So here's my advice to you.

CALL YOUR MOM. 
Well read the rest of this post and then go call her.
Now you can have your turn giving her the third degree about diseases that run in the family.  Did you know that 5-10% of all cancers are inherited? That number may not sound big, but when looking at your overall health picture it's good to know your risk factors.

If you're like me and have trouble remembering even after your mom tells you things, somethings never change I guess, you can fill in your family members history on the U.S. Surgeon General's online family history tool (familyhistory.hhs.gov) then you can print it out and take it with you to your next appointment.

Easy peasy.

Now go call your mom.

SHARE:

No comments:

Post a Comment

© JHersh Fitness | All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig